Sunday, September 11, 2011

Macbook Pro users should know these things! Geez!

I just scared myself and almost passed out.  And here is why.  Well with every laptop, you have a battery counter that tells you how much battery life you have left until you have to recharge it again.  Everyone knows how pricey Apple laptops are, and in case you didn't know, Apple laptop batteries are suppose to be able to charge for a maximum 1000 cycles - well for majority of them, some models vary.  Anyways, I kind of knew this fact from the beginning, but I use my MBP everyday and as time pass, I kinda forgot about it.

Just 30 mins ago, I clicked on my battery icon and a new icon popped up saying "Service battery".  So the usual me started panicking because I bought my MBP in Nov 2009 but didn't open it up to use it until Jan 2010.  It's been less than 2 years since I bought mine.  After panicking for a bit then in denial, then back to panicking again, I clicked on the "Service battery" icon and it brought up a window saying I should bring it in for service at an Apple store.  I started getting scared because I am so dependent on my laptop, I literally NEED it - sad to say but it's true.  Anyways, I clicked on another link in that window that brought me to the Apple website, and from there I tried to look for a solution - in case someone else has experienced something like me.  And seriously, I learn something new EVERYDAY! Turns out, I should be "calibrating" my battery once in a while and not every time I use my laptop.  Apple laptops are suppose to last you at least 3 years - assuming you reach 1000 cycles by then.  And guess where I'm at (and my 2 years isn't even up!!!), I'm at 882 counts! WHHHHY?!?! Why didn't I not read up these things before blindly using my Macbook Pro??? *sigh* I hate making regrets =(

Anyways, I read a bunch of solutions but none of them have similar conditions as mine, so I thought maybe if I restart my computer (which I haven't done for at least 2-3 weeks as I usually put my laptop to sleep mode) things would return to normal.  GUESS WHAT?!?!?! The "Service battery" icon is gone! I solved my problem! ... or maybe I'm back in denial state again.  But I don't have to bring it in for service anymore.  =)

Lesson learned: only calibrate battery once every few months and turn off my laptop, not put it to sleep mode!  *phew* -- for you Apple users out there, or rather all laptop users out there, don't make the same mistake as I did! Apple users or not, as long as you use a laptop that runs on a battery, preserve it by calibrating it once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...